Topics

Your feedback concerning ITW

John Copenhaver

Hi, everyone!

As many of you know,
ITW (International Thriller Writers)—an organization that supports mystery and thriller writers and runs an annual conference in NYC—has undergone a significant change. Recently, most of the board resigned in response to a call from its membership, who were upset at their handling of an issue concerning a report of sexual assault by one of its members and a deeply inadequate response to the Black Lives Matter movement. I won't get into the entire story here, but both USA Today and NYTimes covered it if you don't already know the story and are curious.

At this point, the board is rebuilding, and I've been asked by the organization to reach out to the LGBTQ crime writing community for feedback. The new board hasn't been officially ratified, and I still don't know what my role will be, but what I do know is that there's a lot to love about this organization and its conference AND that there's much that needs to change, especially to make women, PoC, and LGBTQ writers and other community attendees feel safe, wanted, and supported.

Although I have some ideas, I would love to hear what you would like to see change if you've attended the conference in the past. If you haven't participated, I'd love to know what you'd like to see in general, perhaps based on your experiences at other conferences. I'm going to collect your feedback and pass it on anonymously to Alexa Gordon, the VP of Diversity and Outreach (a newly created board role).

Feel free to email me directly if you're more conformable responding to me privately.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts you have. Please know that I sincerely value them!

Best,
-John

Bess Carnan

I haven't been to an ITW conferences, but I'm a big fan of events having codes of conduct that feature clear, outlined repercussions for bad behavior if that's useful!

she/her