Topics

What a week! Who's got an NPV? #NPV

Bess Carnan

There's been a lot going on in the crime writing community this week. Did anyone manage to be productive in spite of it?

(I did, a little! I'm inching ever-forward on my current project.)

I've been invited recently to give workshops at two local libraries on crime fiction. One may pay, if they get a grant, and the other seems willing to pay a few bucks.

My opinion about all the fuss lately is that many of the older, cisgender, traditionally published authors simply aren't clued in to some of the issues that matter to us, like pronouns, proper language, even bathroom use. So it's important for us to get out there and speak at cons and events and make sure that our voices get heard, and our issues come to the table.

Neil Plakcy

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 11:32 AM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
There's been a lot going on in the crime writing community this week. Did anyone manage to be productive in spite of it?

(I did, a little! I'm inching ever-forward on my current project.)

Yeah, a lot of craziness happening at cons. But a lot of good people speaking out and some organizers stepping up and holding offenders accountable.

Personally, I’m on track to finish the rough draft of my WIP by EOM, cranking out 2.5K a day.

On Nov 15, 2019, at 9:32 AM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

There's been a lot going on in the crime writing community this week. Did anyone manage to be productive in spite of it?

(I did, a little! I'm inching ever-forward on my current project.)

Jeffrey Marks

Do we want to comment publicly? The crime writers of color have issued a statement about PWA.

If you have seen, the New England Crime Bake included pronouns on name badges this year. Very happy to see that!

And I finished a rather personal not yet coming of age story this week!

Jeff

Eliot

Hi, all--

I finished another short story and submitted it to some literary journals and I also finished another chapter of my thriller novel. I felt like I really made some good writing progress this week.

Hope you all are well.

Eliot

Yeah, a lot of craziness happening at cons. But a lot of good people speaking out and some organizers stepping up and holding offenders accountable.

Personally, I’m on track to finish the rough draft of my WIP by EOM, cranking out 2.5K a day.

On Nov 15, 2019, at 9:32 AM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

There's been a lot going on in the crime writing community this week. Did anyone manage to be productive in spite of it?

(I did, a little! I'm inching ever-forward on my current project.)

Anne

I’m finishing up another revision to my manuscript before sending it out again. Then I’m off on a solo two week writing retreat in New Mexico to work on my new novel. Can’t wait! I’ll be about ten miles outside of Truth or Consequences, NM, in the middle of nowhere.

Anne
--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
773.255.0651
annelaughlin@...

Stop looking, start finding®
atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of

John Copenhaver

I’m really heartened that we are pushing back and calling folks out in our community who have said things and done things that have a hurtful impact. Some of these individual are coming from a place of fear, some from blindness. I am wondering when—and how—at conferences and events we can make space for conversation. Calling out is step 1 of the process, but if that’s all that’s happening, I’m worried we’ll never really help folks grow. They’ll just watch their tongues and harbor resentment. Essentially they’ll go underground … and that’s not good.

Any thoughts about that? Would SinC or some other org. sponsor an forum to discuss these topics in our community at Bcon or some other conference? I’m happy to reach out to Lori Rader-Day and ask.

-John

On Nov 15, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Eliot <eliotp@...> wrote:

Hi, all--

I finished another short story and submitted it to some literary journals and I also finished another chapter of my thriller novel. I felt like I really made some good writing progress this week.

Hope you all are well.

Eliot

Yeah, a lot of craziness happening at cons. But a lot of good people speaking out and some organizers stepping up and holding offenders accountable.

Personally, I’m on track to finish the rough draft of my WIP by EOM, cranking out 2.5K a day.

On Nov 15, 2019, at 9:32 AM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

There's been a lot going on in the crime writing community this week. Did anyone manage to be productive in spite of it?

(I did, a little! I'm inching ever-forward on my current project.)

Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74

Debut Novel, DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

Hawthorn Mineart

John,

Lori Rader-Day might be interested in that as a way to take on some of these issues, and I think it's a constructive idea. I've been having a conversation with her about Magna Cum Murder and she asked me what I thought about steps Sisters in Crime could take in addressing what I saw happen there. I didn't have good answers for her about what I'd like to see, partly because I was still in the moment of being upset about it.

I think your suggestion is a great one. I'll be seeing her in a week or two when she is speaking to our local chapter and I'll mention it, but I would say you could reach out to her, too. More than one source with ideas could be helpful to her.

Neil Plakcy

I had never heard of Ruth Doodly before this brouhaha, and so I read a bit about her that someone had posted, and it appears that she was approaching these subjects from the point of view of satire. Similarly, I have only seen Max Allan Collins once or twice, but I believe that his comment came out of a poorly-tuned sense of humor.

When I saw that SJ Rozan was on the panel with Doodly, I was surprised that she didn't speak up. Suppose someone had repeated to her the old joke. "Say, do you get the names of your Chinese characters by throwing silverware up in the air, and then using the noise it makes coming down?" Surely she would have recognized that such a joke was in poor taste, as were the satirical comments that Doodly made about woke young people and bearded men in dresses.

Too often, our community can be the butt of jokes, and it's important to us to speak up and say, "Hey, you might think that's funny, but it's hurtful."

If SinC or anyone else decides to present a program on such a topic, I think it needs to include misguided attempts at humor. Part of being human is recognizing the feelings of others, and that when we make what we think is a joke, we need to accept that others won't see it that way.

My neighborhood dog walker, an elderly man, has a T-shirt I love. It shows a man walking a dog and carrying what is obviously a bag of the dog's poop. The logo reads "My Indian name is Walks With Poop." I think that's pretty funny, but I wouldn't use it in a book, or repeat it in a large audience, because it is implicitly derogatory to Native American people. It's learning that difference that matters.

Neil Plakcy

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 11:25 AM Hawthorn Mineart <hawthorn.mineart@...> wrote:
John,

Lori Rader-Day might be interested in that as a way to take on some of these issues, and I think it's a constructive idea. I've been having a conversation with her about Magna Cum Murder and she asked me what I thought about steps Sisters in Crime could take in addressing what I saw happen there. I didn't have good answers for her about what I'd like to see, partly because I was still in the moment of being upset about it.

I think your suggestion is a great one. I'll be seeing her in a week or two when she is speaking to our local chapter and I'll mention it, but I would say you could reach out to her, too. More than one source with ideas could be helpful to her.

Dharma Kelleher

Well said, Neil.