Topics

Titles

Catherine Maiorisi

Speaking of titles, how do you come up with your titles. Theme? Location? ????

I struggle to get one that communicates something about the book. It’s almost easier for the mysteries than the romances.

Catherine

The Blood Runs Cold 
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com

Neil Plakcy

I generally go with the theme, and find poetry a good source of inspiration. A forthcoming book's title comes from Walt Whitman, and I've used Richard Blanco (the inaugural poet, and a friend and classmate of mine) as well. Olives for the Stranger came from the Bible, while Ghost Ship was with me from the initial image, a sailboat crashed onto the shore of O'ahu with a dead family aboard. One of my very favorites is a story called "Accidental Contact," which came from a news article about how a male nurse's mouth made "accidental contact" with a patient's penis.

The Noblest Vengeance came from a Ladino proverb, while Under the Waterfall was an image I cultivated through the book as a place of refuge for the young lovers. So I guess my inspirations come from all over the place. 

Be careful, though. Mahu should technically be written with macrons (the long bars) over the A and the U, which caused hell with typesetting. And my audio narrator initially misread "Finding Freddie Venus" as "Finding Freddie's Penis."

Neil Plakcy

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 6:25 PM Catherine Maiorisi <cmaiorisi@...> wrote:
Speaking of titles, how do you come up with your titles. Theme? Location? ????

I struggle to get one that communicates something about the book. It’s almost easier for the mysteries than the romances.

Catherine

The Blood Runs Cold 
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com