Topics

Publishing plans?

Neil Plakcy

I am still writing and editing, though I have put my publishing plans on hold until after the virus passes. There are so many folks offering free and discounted books to help people pass the time that I feel anything new will get lost.

What say the rest of you? Adhering to trad pub deadlines, putting out on your own?

Neil Plakcy

Brenda Buchanan

My book is read to query but I'm not sure if I should hold it for the time being. I've written and polished a query letter, checked and re-checked the entire mss dozens of times after multiple rounds of betas. But I'm going back and forth about sending it out.  It may be the right time, but perhaps the absolutely wrong time.

Thoughts?

Brenda

Robin Stuart

I had a chat with my agent on this topic last week. She told me now is a great time to pitch/query. Agents and editors are sheltering in place, too, and they’re requesting materials to read.

On Mar 25, 2020, at 5:09 AM, Brenda Buchanan <brenda@...> wrote:

My book is read to query but I'm not sure if I should hold it for the time being. I've written and polished a query letter, checked and re-checked the entire mss dozens of times after multiple rounds of betas. But I'm going back and forth about sending it out.  It may be the right time, but perhaps the absolutely wrong time.

Thoughts?

Brenda

Bess Carnan

I guess, like everything, 'it depends.' I just saw another agent on twitter say to expect slower responses because the trad industry has slowed down.

Good point that I hadn't thought of. I've been busting my ass to get my book out and now I think I'll take a breath and slow down.

John Copenhaver

My agent put a call out on Twitter for queries. I think now is as good a time as any.

-John

On Mar 25, 2020, at 1:54 PM, Brad Shreve <brad@...> wrote:

Good point that I hadn't thought of. I've been busting my ass to get my book out and now I think I'll take a breath and slow down.

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74
he/him/his

Author of the Macavity Award-winning novel DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

Dharma Kelleher

I only put a book out every 9 months or so. My next is due out in October. It will do however it’s going to do. I think long term, rather than having a launch mentality.

I just hope I get the rights back to the second book in the series before then, because my WIP is book #3.