Topics

#NPV New Weekly Hashtag #NPV

Bess Carnan

Hey everyone!

As you know, we're a new group so we're still trying to find our way. If you have any ideas of things you'd like to see QCW do, please let us know!
In the meantime, check out this new Friday special!
NPVs, or Non-Publishing Victories, are something we launched over in the Sisters in Crime Guppy group. It's seriously easy to get caught up in the grind of "publish or perish" when you're a writer, but we actually have a lot of things to celebrate beyond publishing contracts and release dates. Did you manage 500 words this week, despite being uninspired? How about getting a really nice personalized rejection? Or maybe you were brave and networked the heck out of a conference.
From here on, every Friday we'd love for everyone to share their NPVs so we can celebrate them with you!

Bess Carnan

My NPV for this week is that I've gone through 200 pages of my manuscript, checking edits my agent made. My eyes are tired but by golly I'm making progress!

cheryl head

Great idea for a weekly post. I'm headed to the Murder  and Mayhem in Chicago. I'm doing a panel on Saturday. Sunday, teaching a class about writing characters who are not like the writer. But will also promote #ownvoices.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019, 9:46 AM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
My NPV for this week is that I've gone through 200 pages of my manuscript, checking edits my agent made. My eyes are tired but by golly I'm making progress!

Gale

My NPV this week was writing a Op-Ed about having been banned from speaking at a local Catholic School. While painful, writing a little mini-essay about it helped me process the event. Plus, now I know how to write an Op-Ed. Look for it in HuffPost Queer Voices sometime soon-ish. Possible next week.

Gale

Author The Girl From Blind River

On Fri, Mar 22, 2019 at 10:46 AM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
My NPV for this week is that I've gone through 200 pages of my manuscript, checking edits my agent made. My eyes are tired but by golly I'm making progress!

Stefani Deoul

My NVP was getting livid on behalf of Gale and all of us, cheering on the launch of Cheryl new book while simultaneously cheering on the success of her last one (and a certain huge honor), also cheering on Greg's new book, and several others. I had a great week of cheering on between inching along :) Some days realizing you have come far enough to be celebrating these accomplishments because you have these author friends is like winning yourself!

Stefani Deoul

OH - and I bumped up a cycling speed with my cycle group - that was a big one :)

Bess Carnan

Kick asterisk, everyone! Sounds like we've all had a pretty successful week. :)

Dharma Kelleher

My #NPV this week is that I was recognized by the Desert Sleuths chapter of Sisters in Crime for publishing a book last year. Got a lovely pen with my name on it in an engraved wooden case.

On Mar 22, 2019, at 9:07 AM, Stefani Deoul <stefanideoul@...> wrote:

OH - and I bumped up a cycling speed with my cycle group - that was a big one :)

Emma Schmidtke

A little late to the party but my #NPV for the week was finishing and submitting a freelance assisnment.

I also led a fun lesson about fruit for my EFL (English as a Foriegn Language) students!

Congrats to everyone on their victories, big and small!