Topics

New Queer Crime Award

Bess Carnan

Did everyone see the new Sisters in Crime Pride Award announcement?
From InSinC:

The SinC board is pleased to announce past president Sherry Harris’ legacy project, the creation of the new SinC Pride Award for Emerging LGBTQIA+ Crime Writers.
According to Sherry, “Each past president is required to do a legacy project, something that they feel passionate about. When thinking about what I wanted to do, I kept two things in mind. First, why SinC was formed — to equal the disparity in how female crime fiction writers and male crime fiction writers were reviewed and won awards. Second, I love our Eleanor Taylor Bland Award for emerging crime writers of color. With those two thoughts in mind, I realized I wanted to start a similar award for the LGBTQIA+ community.

“I was shocked to learn at a SinC into Great Writing panel on diversity a few years ago that LGBTQIA+ crime fiction books were often shelved in a separate section instead of with the general mystery books. While things have improved since then, there is still a need for all voices to be lifted. That’s been the mission of SinC since its inception. It’s what we continue to do now and will do in the future.

“When I first mentioned my idea to then-president Lori Rader-Day, she said, 'It’s a great idea, but how can we help more than one person?’ I suggested we add critique partners for the winner and the top five entrants. Prizes may vary from year to year as SinC members donate their time and/or funding. The winner will get a monetary award. An anonymous donation funded this year’s award. In addition, the winner and approximately five runners-up, identified by the judges, will be awarded oneyear SinC membership and its online Guppies Chapter.”

Grants and Award Coordinator V.M. (Valerie) Burns said, “We are thrilled that John Copenhaver, Cheryl Head, and Kristen Lepionka have agreed to be judges for our first award.”

The SinC Pride Award will be a $2,000 annual award to support an emerging writer of the LGBTQIA+ crime fiction writing community with both financial and practical career guidance and support. Similar to the Eleanor Taylor Bland Crime Fiction Writers of Color Award, the recipient of the SinC Pride Award may use funds for activities including workshops, seminars, conferences, retreats, online courses, and research activities required for completion of the work. Additionally, the winner and five runners-up will receive a critique from an established SinC member.

An unpublished writer is preferred, however, publication of not more than 10 pieces of short fiction and/or up-to two self-published or traditionally published books will not disqualify an applicant.

Requirements for Application
  • An unpublished work of crime fiction, aimed at readers from children’s chapter books through adults. This may be a short story or first chapter(s) of a manuscript-in-progress of 2,500 to 5,000 words.
  • A resume or biographical statement.
  • A cover letter that gives a sense oaf the applicant as an emerging writer in the genre and briefly states how the award money would be used. (Although this is not a deciding factor in the judges’ decision.) No prior writing or publishing experience is required, but the applicant should include any relevant studies or experience.
  • Attach an electronic copy of the three elements of the application (work, resume, and cover letter — Word or PDF format) and send by email to Valerie Burns.
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email. For updates, inquiries, and additional information about the award, please contact Valerie.

One year after winning, the award winner may be asked to share thoughts on their win and the impact the award has made. The winner of the award may also be asked to serve as a member of the award selection committee for the year after their win, alongside volunteer judges.

SinC realizes that not all LGBTQIA+ community members can be out, and we value each individual’s privacy. Winners and any runners-ups who wish to maintain their anonymity may do so, or they may choose to select a pen name for announcements.

Applications will open on January 15 and run through March 15. The winner will be announced in early April.

Shout out to our QCW members who are involved with this awesome project!

she/her

So excited to be involved with this. Sherry is awesome! Please continue to spread the word!

XO

On Dec 7, 2020, at 4:25 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

Did everyone see the new Sisters in Crime Pride Award announcement?
From InSinC:

[...]

Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74
he/him/his

Author of the Macavity Award-winning novel DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

Gale

So happy to see the announcement of this award!

Gale

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 4:25 PM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
Did everyone see the new Sisters in Crime Pride Award announcement?
From InSinC:

[...]

Gale Massey
The Girl From Blind River
Florida Book Award 2018
Coming soon: Rising And Other Stories

GaleMassey.com

cheryl head

This is a great legacy project for Sherry Harris, the outgoing national president of Sisters in Crime.  Proud to be one of the inaugural judges.
cheryl

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 7:42 AM Gale <gale.massey6057@...> wrote:
So happy to see the announcement of this award!

Gale

On Mon, Dec 7, 2020 at 4:25 PM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
Did everyone see the new Sisters in Crime Pride Award announcement?
From InSinC:

--
Cheryl Head  (She/Her)
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries

Hawthorn Mineart

I'm excited about this. Lori Rader-Day gave me a heads up about this a month or two ago, so I've been trying to get something ready.
--
Media Chair - Speed City Indiana Chapter Sisters in Crime
http://www.hawthornmineart.com

Dharma Kelleher

I was asked to be a judge and so wanted to say yes, but between taking care of my wife, my day job, and my own writing, I simply didn’t have the time.

But I am overjoyed about this and hope this spurs more queer author careers.

On Dec 9, 2020, at 7:43 AM, Hawthorn Mineart <hawthorn.mineart@...> wrote:

I'm excited about this. Lori Rader-Day gave me a heads up about this a month or two ago, so I've been trying to get something ready.
--
Media Chair - Speed City Indiana Chapter Sisters in Crime
http://www.hawthornmineart.com

Brenda Buchanan

This is such a wonderful initiative.  Sherry Harris and Lori Rader-Day both rock.