Topics

Kirkus Review for Michael Nava


Catherine Maiorisi
 

Not sure of your point Neil. Paying for a Kirkus review does not guarantee it will be good.

Catherine


On Jul 15, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Neil Plakcy <plax1612@...> wrote:

No one seems to have pointed out that since he is self-publishing his book, he paid for that Kirkus Review. I'm not going to be the one to say so, though! Prices start at $425.


 Neil

The Blood Runs Cold 
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

 http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com








Neil Plakcy
 

I agree. But I don’t believe in paying for reviews, and if I did pay I wouldn’t go bragging about it. And $425 is a lot of money for one review.

Neil

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at

On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Catherine Maiorisi <cmaiorisi@...> wrote:

Not sure of your point Neil. Paying for a Kirkus review does not guarantee it will be good.

Catherine


On Jul 15, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Neil Plakcy <plax1612@...> wrote:

No one seems to have pointed out that since he is self-publishing his book, he paid for that Kirkus Review. I'm not going to be the one to say so, though! Prices start at $425.


 Neil

The Blood Runs Cold 
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

 http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com








Neil Plakcy
 

Sorry this was supposed to be a private response to Catherine not a public one. I have no interest in cutting down another gay author in public.

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at

On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:31 PM, Neil Plakcy via Groups.Io <plax1612@...> wrote:

I agree. But I don’t believe in paying for reviews, and if I did pay I wouldn’t go bragging about it. And $425 is a lot of money for one review.

Neil

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at

On Jul 15, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Catherine Maiorisi <cmaiorisi@...> wrote:

Not sure of your point Neil. Paying for a Kirkus review does not guarantee it will be good.

Catherine


On Jul 15, 2019, at 4:04 PM, Neil Plakcy <plax1612@...> wrote:

No one seems to have pointed out that since he is self-publishing his book, he paid for that Kirkus Review. I'm not going to be the one to say so, though! Prices start at $425.


 Neil

The Blood Runs Cold 
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

 http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com








Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...>
 

It's unfortunate that you elected not to disclose the fact that many years ago I decline to blurb your first book. Apparently, you have a long memory for slights. In any event, since you've made it clear this group is not a safe space for LGBTQ writers to share their struggles and successes, I'm withdrawing from it. 


Neil Plakcy
 

I would like to point out that my message was sent privately to another writer. SHE chose to share it with this group, not me.

I have always been a huge fan of your work and am looking forward to your new book. I need to make it clear that I am NOT the one you have a grievance with. I am entitled to share my opinions privately, and SHE is the one who violated my privacy and offended you.

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at

On Aug 17, 2019, at 11:29 AM, Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...> wrote:

It's unfortunate that you elected not to disclose the fact that many years ago I decline to blurb your first book. Apparently, you have a long memory for slights. In any event, since you've made it clear this group is not a safe space for LGBTQ writers to share their struggles and successes, I'm withdrawing from it. 


Kristen Lepionka <kristenlepionka+q@...>
 

Michael, I sincerely hope you will remain in this group.

Neil, I looked back at the original thread. It looks like your initial comment may have been private and responded to via email, but the second one was posted publicly by you.

Everyone: I created this group as a safe space for queer writers to share successes, disappointments, opinions, thoughts, fears, and so on. Everyone makes mistakes, but it is expected in this group to be considerate to each other and apologize if you have not been, even if you didn't intend to be hurtful to someone.

I have no plans to moderate replies in the group, but I do think that we should all avoid discussing another writer's financials, in public or in private.

Thanks,
Kristen