Topics

Kaye Publicity's Equity in Publishing Program

"Mia P. Manansala"

Hi everyone,

I'm not super active here, but I wanted to make sure you all know about a great opportunity if you're looking to hire a publicist but have limited funds.

Dana Kaye, a queer woman and the founder of Kaye Publicity, mentioned on her Instagram and one of her newsletters that she realizes that the underrepresented voices in fiction, the ones that need the most help with PR and marketing, are also the ones less likely to have the funds to get the push they need. So she's starting a new Equity in Publishing Program. I emailed her about it and this is what she said:

Hi Mia,
Thanks so much for reaching out! We don't have a formal application procedure. Basically, if we feel that if we love the book and want to work with the author, we don't want budget to be a constraint. It's clear that BIPOC, LGBTQIA folks, and authors with disabilities receive disproportionately lower advances than their white/cis/non-disabled counterparts, which means they don't always have the budget to hire PR folks, which can result in fewer books sold, with perpetuates the idea that these books don't sell and don't warrant large advances. That's what we hope to change.

I would love the opportunity to chat with you about the possibility of working together, so when you're ready, let's schedule a call. And you can definitely let the CWOC community know that if they are interested in working with us, not to let budget be a deterrent. If we feel that the author and book are a good fit for us, we'll make it work.

Talk soon!

Dana
They're local to me and were willing to work with what little budget I had, so I signed with them earlier this week. If you're looking to hire a publicist, but are worried about the money, definitely reach out to them and use "Equity in Publishing Program" in the subject line. Feel free to use my name. I know Kristen Lepionka also worked with them on her first couple of books.

Here's the link again, if you want to check out their site: Kaye Publicity
--
Mia P. Manansala, Author & Book Coach (she/her)
Arsenic and Adobo (Berkley/Penguin Random House May 4, 2021)

Dharma Kelleher

Thanks, Mia. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher
Gritty Crime Fiction with a Feminist Kick

https://dharmakelleher.com

On Nov 11, 2020, at 10:11 AM, Mia P. Manansala <mpmthewriter@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm not super active here, but I wanted to make sure you all know about a great opportunity if you're looking to hire a publicist but have limited funds.

Dana Kaye, a queer woman and the founder of Kaye Publicity, mentioned on her Instagram and one of her newsletters that she realizes that the underrepresented voices in fiction, the ones that need the most help with PR and marketing, are also the ones less likely to have the funds to get the push they need. So she's starting a new Equity in Publishing Program. I emailed her about it and this is what she said:

Hi Mia,
Thanks so much for reaching out! We don't have a formal application procedure. Basically, if we feel that if we love the book and want to work with the author, we don't want budget to be a constraint. It's clear that BIPOC, LGBTQIA folks, and authors with disabilities receive disproportionately lower advances than their white/cis/non-disabled counterparts, which means they don't always have the budget to hire PR folks, which can result in fewer books sold, with perpetuates the idea that these books don't sell and don't warrant large advances. That's what we hope to change.

I would love the opportunity to chat with you about the possibility of working together, so when you're ready, let's schedule a call. And you can definitely let the CWOC community know that if they are interested in working with us, not to let budget be a deterrent. If we feel that the author and book are a good fit for us, we'll make it work.

Talk soon!

Dana
They're local to me and were willing to work with what little budget I had, so I signed with them earlier this week. If you're looking to hire a publicist, but are worried about the money, definitely reach out to them and use "Equity in Publishing Program" in the subject line. Feel free to use my name. I know Kristen Lepionka also worked with them on her first couple of books.

Here's the link again, if you want to check out their site: Kaye Publicity
--
Mia P. Manansala, Author & Book Coach (she/her)
Arsenic and Adobo (Berkley/Penguin Random House May 4, 2021)

Leslie Karst

Good for Dana; what a generous offer. And thanks for letting us know, Mia!

Leslie Karst

--
Lefty Award-nominated author of the Sally Solari Mystery Series

blogs at: chicksonthecase and mysteryloverskitchen

Eliot

Hi, all!

This is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you all are well and staying safe!

Eliot

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of Leslie Karst <ljkarst@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 11:52 AM
To: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Queercrimewriters] Kaye Publicity's Equity in Publishing Program

Leslie Karst

--

Dharma Kelleher

I got a response back from Dana. 

While we don't recommend full-service campaigns for indie authors, based on what you've shared, you would be a great candidate for my paid membership community, Your Breakout Book.”

So I guess the Equality offer only applies to traditionally pubbed authors. 

Which struck me as odd. I walked away from traditional publishers because of their lack of interest in diverse voices. 

I tried her paid membership a year or so ago, but didn’t find it offered anything I couldn’t get from a lot of podcasts. 

But her business. Her decision. I respect it. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

On Nov 12, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Eliot <eliotp@...> wrote:

Hi, all!

Eliot

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of Leslie Karst <ljkarst@...>

Leslie Karst

--

John Copenhaver

Hi, all,

In general, I'm suspicious of publicists who ask you to pay for advice—and Dana does a lot of that sort of thing. You should be paying for access to the connections they’ve built. Not advice for how to post on Instagram or interview tips. A big part of equity is about access to resources. The resources publicists provide is who they know—ye olde rolodex. I like that Dana wants to provide a discount to create equity, but you have to scrutinize what they are providing—and if it’s not, in fact, a marketing ploy. Mia, you may have had/are having a fabulous experience with her and that may not be the case here at all, but I felt some obligation to be concerned. I just don’t want our desire to be supported taken advantage of, even if it’s unintentional. Her response to Dharma worried me, I guess, especially because she tried to sell her on another program.

I still dream of a fellowship—or something of that sort—which would provide $$ for queer and/or BIPOC folks to hire a publicist. 

Not my intention to be a Debbie Downer, but perhaps this will spark conversation!

Best,
-John

On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:46 PM, Dharma Kelleher <dharma.kelleher@...> wrote:

While we don't recommend full-service campaigns for indie authors, based on what you've shared, you would be a great candidate for my paid membership community, Your Breakout Book.”

Which struck me as odd. I walked away from traditional publishers because of their lack of interest in diverse voices. 

I tried her paid membership a year or so ago, but didn’t find it offered anything I couldn’t get from a lot of podcasts. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

Hi, all!

Eliot

Leslie Karst

--

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74
he/him/his

Author of the Macavity Award-winning novel DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

Ann Aptaker

Hi John,
Yes, I had the same suspicions. I went to their webpage, and there didn't seem to be much bang for the buck, unless you paid for their full services. The rest just seemed to be How-To's for the author, which you can get for free from other sources, networking, etc. Essentially, their advice appears to be: work your tail off marketing for a good part of your day, and pay them for the privilege of telling you to do it. 
No thanks.
But I love your idea, John, of a fellowship or funding to hire a publicist!
Cheers,
Ann

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of John Copenhaver via groups.io <johncope@...>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2020 7:00 PM

Hi, all,

In general, I'm suspicious of publicists who ask you to pay for advice—and Dana does a lot of that sort of thing. You should be paying for access to the connections they’ve built. Not advice for how to post on Instagram or interview tips. A big part of equity is about access to resources. The resources publicists provide is who they know—ye olde rolodex. I like that Dana wants to provide a discount to create equity, but you have to scrutinize what they are providing—and if it’s not, in fact, a marketing ploy. Mia, you may have had/are having a fabulous experience with her and that may not be the case here at all, but I felt some obligation to be concerned. I just don’t want our desire to be supported taken advantage of, even if it’s unintentional. Her response to Dharma worried me, I guess, especially because she tried to sell her on another program.

I still dream of a fellowship—or something of that sort—which would provide $$ for queer and/or BIPOC folks to hire a publicist. 

Not my intention to be a Debbie Downer, but perhaps this will spark conversation!

Best,
-John

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

Hi, all!

Eliot

Leslie Karst

--

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
www.jcopenhaver.com
he/him/his

Author of the Macavity Award-winning novel DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

Dharma Kelleher

Exactly, John. It’s the access that I need, not more generic advice about how to start a newsletter or schedule FB posts using Hootsuite. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

On Nov 12, 2020, at 5:00 PM, John Copenhaver via groups.io <johncope@...> wrote:

Hi, all,

Best,
-John

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

Hi, all!

Eliot

Leslie Karst

--

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
www.jcopenhaver.com
he/him/his

<Dodging and Burning signature 2.jpg>