Topics

June Goals Check-in #Goals

Bess Carnan

All right y'all, it's end of the month check-in time! How did you do?

I slowed waaaaay down on my writing, which is disappointing. Saggy/soggy/boggy middle is no joke! I've got to get better at torturing my characters, but I want them to be happy!

--

Bess
she/her
writer of unconventional mysteries
www.BessCarnanBooks.com

Jeffrey Marks

Revising a chapter for my agent, which is turning into a rabbit hole of research. 

Getting my ducks in a row for proposal #2, but feeling a bit stymied by the fact that so many university libraries are closed for the summer. 

How about everyone else?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com
Mystery biographer, nominated for the Edgar award, the Agatha, the Macavity, and winner of the Anthony award. 
Publisher, Crippen & Landru Publishers. 

Eliot

Hi, all--

Finished the first draft of my latest thriller novel, titled A Final Call. Now, I am enjoying a cold beverage and a slice of pizza in celebration, while the draft sits on the computer and I get some distance from it (before revisions begin). 🙂

Eliot

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 12:39 PM
To: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Queercrimewriters] June Goals Check-in #Goals

Revising a chapter for my agent, which is turning into a rabbit hole of research. 

Getting my ducks in a row for proposal #2, but feeling a bit stymied by the fact that so many university libraries are closed for the summer. 

How about everyone else?

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com
Mystery biographer, nominated for the Edgar award, the Agatha, the Macavity, and winner of the Anthony award. 
Publisher, Crippen & Landru Publishers. 

Catherine Maiorisi

I finished the first draft of my third NYPD Detective Chiara Corelli mystery. It’s 102,000 words and I have a month to rewrite/edit. Pray for me.

Catherine Maiorisi

On Jun 30, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

_._,_._,_

Taking a Chance on Love
Ready for Love
The Blood Runs Cold- Lambda Literary Award Finalist, Golden Crown Literary Society Award Finalist
A Matter of Blood - Lambda Literary Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

http://www.catherinemaiorisi.com

Dharma Kelleher

So excited about the progress everyone is making!!!! And yes, Bess, that soggy boggy middle is always a hit to morale. Trust the process. 

I finished the third revision of my WIP. I’m also relearning to walk and making slow, painful progress. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher
Gritty Crime Fiction with a Feminist Kick

https://dharmakelleher.com

On Jun 30, 2020, at 9:33 AM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

I slowed waaaaay down on my writing, which is disappointing. Saggy/soggy/boggy middle is no joke! I've got to get better at torturing my characters, but I want them to be happy!

--

Bess
she/her
www.BessCarnanBooks.com

Ann Aptaker

Hello everyone,
I'm heading into the last quarter of a draft of my next Cantor Gold book, MURDER AND GOLD. I've promised Bywater Books the manuscript in August, so, writing, writing, writing!
Ann

Ann Aptaker

MURDER AND GOLD, Releasing 2021

FLESH AND GOLD, Book Four in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

GENUINE GOLD, Goldie Award Winner, Book Three in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

TARNISHED GOLD Lambda & Goldie Award Winner, Book Two in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

CRIMINAL GOLD Goldie Award Finalist, Debut Author

Facebook: Ann Aptaker, Author   Twitter: @AnnAptaker   Instagram: ann_aptaker

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...>
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 12:33 PM
Subject: [Queercrimewriters] June Goals Check-in #Goals

--

Bess
she/her
www.BessCarnanBooks.com

Anne

I’m starting the final section of my new suspense novel, reading page proofs for my September release, and starting a review for Lambda Literary. Thanks to John Copenhaver for putting me in touch with them. 

All in all very busy. It’s fun to hear what you all are up to. 
--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties 
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
annelaughlin@...

Stop looking, start finding®
atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of
Sometimes Quickly
Veritas
Runaway
The Acquittal 
A Date to Die

Gale

I hardly ever weigh in here, but I recently sold a collection to an indie publisher. The deadline to complete all thirteen stories is at the end of July and I'm going to need focus to get there on time. So yeah, I'm hanging out online...

Gale Massey
The Girl From Blind River
Florida Book Award 2018
Clara Johnson Award Finalist 2019

GaleMassey.com

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:23 AM Anne <annie3310@...> wrote:
I’m starting the final section of my new suspense novel, reading page proofs for my September release, and starting a review for Lambda Literary. Thanks to John Copenhaver for putting me in touch with them. 

--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties 
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
annelaughlin@...

atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of
Sometimes Quickly
Veritas
Runaway
The Acquittal 
A Date to Die

Catherine Maiorisi

Congratulation on the sale, Gale.

Catherine

On Jul 1, 2020, at 12:32 PM, Gale <gale.massey6057@...> wrote:

I hardly ever weigh in here, but I recently sold a collection to an indie publisher. The deadline to complete all thirteen stories is at the end of July and I'm going to need focus to get there on time. So yeah, I'm hanging out online...

Gale Massey
Florida Book Award 2018

--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties 
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
annelaughlin@...

atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of
Sometimes Quickly
Veritas
Runaway
The Acquittal 
A Date to Die

Taking a Chance on Love
Ready for Love
The Blood Runs Cold- Lambda Literary Award Finalist, Golden Crown Literary Society Award Finalist
Readers rave: Complex characters, well-written, intelligent, page turner, clever plotting, multi-layered, intense, instantly hooks you, couldn’t put down

Eliot

Congrats, Gale.

Eliot

From: main@queercrimewriters.groups.io <main@queercrimewriters.groups.io> on behalf of Catherine Maiorisi <cmaiorisi@...>
Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2020 2:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Queercrimewriters] June Goals Check-in

Congratulation on the sale, Gale.

Catherine

On Jul 1, 2020, at 12:32 PM, Gale <gale.massey6057@...> wrote:

Gale Massey
Florida Book Award 2018

--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties 
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
annelaughlin@...

atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of
Sometimes Quickly
Veritas
Runaway
The Acquittal 
A Date to Die

Taking a Chance on Love
Ready for Love

Neil Plakcy

I hit my writing goals, because for some reason I'm still able to sit down and write every morning (after serving as my own barista, thank you very much.)

I've had a much harder time hitting my marketing and publishing goals. After taking the dogs for their early afternoon walk, I'm simply not motivated to do this stuff.

So I'm finally taking steps to hire some of it out. We'll see how that works.

Neil Plakcy

Bess Carnan

Congratulations Gale! That's wonderful! You've totally got this. :)

--

Bess
she/her
www.BessCarnanBooks.com

I had surgery at the beginning of the month. Nothing serious but it's thrown my whole schedule out of whack. I haven't gone this long without writing in a very long time. Hope life gets back to normal next week. 

Neil, I'm anxious to hear how hiring someone goes. 

Dharma Kelleher

When I broke my ankle, it took a week before I could get back to the revisions. Between the pain, the swelling, and the pain meds, it was hard to focus. 

Hang in there. You’ll be a new man in no time. 

Peace out,
Dharma Kelleher

Gritty Crime Fiction with a Feminist Kick
https://dharmakelleher.com

On Jul 1, 2020, at 6:35 PM, Brad Shreve <brad@...> wrote:

I had surgery at the beginning of the month. Nothing serious but it's thrown my whole schedule out of whack. I haven't gone this long without writing in a very long time. Hope life gets back to normal next week. 

Neil Plakcy

Brad, I had two good personal recommendations. One for a new website and one for advertising help. I will certainly let you know how it shakes out.

However I’ll tell you up front the ad person wants a larger backlist before she will work with a client. Her strategies are specific to four or more titles in one genre.

Neil

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at
www.mahubooks.com

Meredith Doench

Hey all!  
I'm so glad to see so many people are working/getting shit done! :)
@Bess, I'm with you in that I have slowed way down this month, but I have managed to get a solid draft of act I of my next novel.  It's just slow going.  Here's to a better work month in July!
~Meredith

Greg Herren

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had wanted in June, but I did sell two short stories on the the last two days of the month, which was quite lovely.

Now I need to finish a proposal that's been hanging over my head for months so I can get back to the WIP, which I haven't look at it since February.

xogreg

Ah, thanks Neil. I have a fantastic web designer and I guess I'll have to finish a couple of more books. Still will be interested to hear how it goes. 

John Copenhaver

I’ve been in the last stages of finishing a revision of a revision of a revision (seriously) which I hope to send to my agent at the end of next week. Lots of layer to this one! It’s the book I read from at Noir at the Bar.

Kudos to Anne and Meredith for being willing to do a bit of reviewing for Lambda.😃

And congrats, Gale!

Happy Thursday!

-John

On Jul 2, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Greg Herren via groups.io <gregh121@...> wrote:

I didn't get nearly as much done as I had wanted in June, but I did sell two short stories on the the last two days of the month, which was quite lovely.

Now I need to finish a proposal that's been hanging over my head for months so I can get back to the WIP, which I haven't look at it since February.

xogreg

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74
he/him/his

Author of the Macavity Award-winning novel DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.