Topics

How Do You Balance Your Time?

Bess Carnan

Hey all!

Last year, I made a goal that in 2019 I'd get more involved in the writing community. (Check!) However, now I'm finding that it's hard to balance "doing other stuff" with "doing my actual own writing," so I'm curious about how you balance/schedule your life and time?

Bess,
Balancing writing time with other activities is always tricky. As president of the NY chapter of Sisters in Crime I’ve done my best to delegate as much as I can but still there is a ton of things that I need to do. I try to prioritize and focus on what’s important at the moment. This means sometimes my writing takes second or even third place.

I’ve found the more you do the more you’re asked to do. I think carefully about whether it’s something that is important enough to me to put ahead of my writing (and reading).

Probably, the single most important thing I've learned is to say NO.

I hope this helps

On Jun 6, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

Hey all!

Last year, I made a goal that in 2019 I'd get more involved in the writing community. (Check!) However, now I'm finding that it's hard to balance "doing other stuff" with "doing my actual own writing," so I'm curious about how you balance/schedule your life and time?

Such a great question, Bess! Especially for those of us who still have a day job or other major time commitments, such as young kids.

I’ve been struggling with this myself. For me and where I am in my journey, my priority is my writing. I have four books out, two each in my two series. I want to really build up my backlist, particularly in my current series.

Also, I plan to produce the audio versions of my books later this year to maximize audience reach for the stories I have completed.

I used to be the webmaster for our Sisters in Crime chapter, but stepped down because of the time commitment. I still attend monthly meetings. I’m also attending one conference a year, Left Coast Crime. I’m interactive with other crime fiction authors on FB and Twitter.

In the past, I’ve dabbled with Amazon and FB ads, but have shelved that until I have more books in my bounty hunter series. I do try to send out a newsletter once or twice a month, but I’m not doing anything to actively build the list.

Basically, a good rule of thumb is to determine your current business priorities. Learning the craft? Building a backlist? Maximizing current IP? Building a following? Connecting with community? Driving sales?

Try things. Adjust as necessary. Reassess annually or as needed. And most of all, have fun (even when it’s work.)