Topics

Diversity at Conferences

Ann Aptaker

Hi all,
I'm not going to any general conferences this year (I'll be traveling until May, and then there are budget issues), but I can speak up when the conferences are discussed. Diversity at the conferences, in our organizations, and in publishing in general, cannot be swept under the rug any longer.

Greg, congratulations on your MWA election! I know you'll keep our issues front and center at MWA. One of the issues I think is important but has not been addressed--and which directly impacts queer crime writers--is the financial threshold requirement to submit work for the Edgar awards. Those of us who publish with small publishers--even those on MWA's Approved Pubisher List--  cannot meet the financial thresholds of advances and/or sales MWA requires for submission. Thus, many queer voices are shut out of consideration for our genre's most prestigious award, the Edgars. I hope you can address this to the Board, and that the Board will move to rectify the situation. As I understand it, part of the mission of MWA is to foster and recognize talent. Shutting out an entire segment of authors defies this purpose.

Cheers,
Ann

Ann Aptaker

FLESH AND GOLD, Book Four in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

GENUINE GOLD, Goldie Award Winner, Book Three in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

TARNISHED GOLD Lambda & Goldie Award Winner, Book Two in the Cantor Gold Crime Series

CRIMINAL GOLD Goldie Award Finalist, Debut Author

Bold Strokes Books

Facebook: Ann Aptaker, Author   Twitter: @AnnAptaker   Instagram: ann_aptaker

Dharma Kelleher

I heartily agree. I walked away from traditional publishing because publishers weren’t interested in crime fiction with trans protagonists.

So as an indie, I’m supposed have even more sales than traditional publishers, despite having only a tiny fraction of their marketing budget. Once again the gatekeepers win. Trans voices are silenced.