Topics

Bouchercon 2019

Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...>

I've never been to a Bouchercon before, and I'm considering going this year. Is anyone here going? What's been your experience?

Jeffrey Marks

I'm going this year. It's huge and can be very overwhelming, but if you make plans with friends, people you want to meet and such, it makes it feel more like a smaller conference.

I'm up for a QCW's meetup while we're all there.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com

Catherine Maiorisi

Hi Michael,

Bouchercon is huge - 1500 - 2000 readers and writers.  There are so many big name mystery authors there it’s easy to get lost in the crowd and feel out of it, at least for me.  It works best for me when I arrange to meet up with  people I know. If you’re sociable, it’s a great way to meet readers and other authors.

If you can, get on a panel and, if they’re doing an author-go-round (each author gets two minutes to pitch to 20 or so tables of interested readers), try to do that.

I’d planned to go but I may have to cancel since my wife just scheduled to have knee replacement surgery two weeks before. If her surgeon gets a cancellation and it gets done in September then I should be able to leave her.

Catherine Maiorisi

On Jul 17, 2019, at 10:43 AM, Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...> wrote:

I've never been to a Bouchercon before, and I'm considering going this year. Is anyone here going? What's been your experience?

Kristen Lepionka <kristenlepionka+q@...>

I'll be there. I agree with what Jeff and Catherine said--it's huge, and can be overwhelming, but is a good chance to meet other writers and introduce yourself to new fans. If you're an introvert like me, definitely plan on scheduling breaks where you can go back to your room and sit quietly for a while.

We should all meet up for sure--when is everyone planning to arrive? I think I'll be getting there on Wednesday.

cheryl head

I'll be at Bouchercon for a couple of days this year. I'm up for a meet up. Look forward to seeing you, Jeff, and others.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:55 AM Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...> wrote:
I'm going this year. It's huge and can be very overwhelming, but if you make plans with friends, people you want to meet and such, it makes it feel more like a smaller conference.

I'm up for a QCW's meetup while we're all there.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com
Mystery biographer, nominated for the Edgar award, the Agatha, the Macavity, and winner of the Anthony award.
Publisher, Crippen & Landru Publishers.

--
Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

John Copenhaver

Hi all, I’m definitely going! I’d love for us to meet up for happy hour or something. I’ll be getting in on Wednesday!

-John

On Jul 17, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Kristen Lepionka <kristenlepionka+q@...> wrote:

I'll be there. I agree with what Jeff and Catherine said--it's huge, and can be overwhelming, but is a good chance to meet other writers and introduce yourself to new fans. If you're an introvert like me, definitely plan on scheduling breaks where you can go back to your room and sit quietly for a while.

We should all meet up for sure--when is everyone planning to arrive? I think I'll be getting there on Wednesday.

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74

Debut Novel, DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

cheryl head

Hi Michael:   It seems somehow our replies to you are coming from both the queercrimewriters group and the crimewritersofcolor group.  I know you posted a Bouchercon message to both groups. Maybe only those of us in both groups are seeing the intermingled messages.  Just wanted you to be aware.

cheryl

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 10:43 AM Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...> wrote:
I've never been to a Bouchercon before, and I'm considering going this year. Is anyone here going? What's been your experience?

--
Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

Anne

I’m going to Bouchercon for the first time this year. I’d love to meet up with you all. I’m getting there on Thursday.

Anne
--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
773.255.0651
annelaughlin@...

Stop looking, start finding®
atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of

Brenda Buchanan

Due to a scheduling conflict I won't be at B'con this year, but know those of you in attendance will have a blast and do the QCW community proud.

Brenda

I'm going to Bouchercon this year. Last time I went was in Raleigh and I moderated a panel. Lots happening and crowds of people -- can be difficult for introverts, but I try to hang out with an extrovert.

As Jeff suggested, a QCW meetup would be fun.

--
Greg Lilly

Author of:

- Stray

- The Wolf Crystal

- Sunset & Semicolons – a Frank & Revealing Field Guide to the Writing Life

- Scalping the Red Rocks – A Derek Mason Mystery

- Under a Copper Moon
Devil's Bridge
- Fingering the Family Jewels– A Derek Mason Mystery

www.GregLilly.com

John Copenhaver

Anne! It will be great to see you!

-John

On Jul 18, 2019, at 6:34 AM, Anne <annie3310@...> wrote:

[...]

I did post on both thank you for the head's up.

Michael Nava <michaelangelnava@...>

Thanks, all and especially Kristen because I'm pretty introverted and the thought of four days in a mob is daunting.  However I have decided to attend and I very much look forward to meeting you all.

Greg Herren

I'll certainly be there. I arrive on Wednesday and leave on Sunday.

Look forward to seeing you all!

xogreg