Topics

Bold Stroke Books looking for stories from BIPOC writers

"Mia P. Manansala"

This was posted over in Crime Writers of Color. I'm not sure how much crossover there is between the two groups, but thought I'd share it here as well. Since it's not specifically crime fiction-related, you might know other queer writers of color who would benefit from this and can spread the word.

Also, I know nothing of this publisher, so it's not an endorsement but it seemed like a great opportunity. If anyone knows if this publisher is legit or has any red flags, that would be great.

They also have a general BIPOC initiative as well: https://www.boldstrokesbooks.com/blog/black-indigenous-and-people-of-color-publication-initiative-191

Black, Indigenous, and People of Color Publication Initiative

BLACK, INDIGENOUS, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR

PUBLICATION INITIATIVE

As an LGBTQ+ publisher, Bold Strokes Books strives to ensure that our list of authors represents the cultures, backgrounds, and viewpoints of our world. We believe everyone should have access to write and read stories that reflect their lived experience.

In line with these beliefs, Bold Strokes Books is committed to expanding and further diversifying our authorship.

If you are an author who identifies as Black, Indigenous, or a Person of Color, we welcome you to submit your manuscripts to Bold Strokes Books. We guarantee to publish every manuscript that meets our publishing criteria, subject to contract agreement. We guarantee we will publish these within twelve months of date of contract.

In addition, we will choose ten additional manuscripts deemed publishable after revisions and provide a full manuscript critique. We will look favorably upon resubmission, although not required.

We hope that this initiative may aid in the submission process and provide greater access to LGBTQ+ publishing for writers who are Black, Indigenous, and People of Color. We are actively working toward change within the publishing industry.

For general information about our submissions guidelines please visit: www.boldstrokesbooks.com/submissions

When submitting your manuscript, please note that you are submitting as part of the BIPOC initiative.

Thank you.

--
Mia P. Manansala (she/her)
Author of Love, Loss, and Lumpia (Berkley/Penguin Random House May 4, 2021)

FaceBook|Twitter| Instagram @MPMtheWriter

cheryl head

I know Bold Strokes Books is a reputable publisher of LGBTQIA works.  Good business protocols.  I've heard there is some backlash, around the payment in that this is
double what they pay for author involvement in other anthologies, so suspicions this might be a "payoff" in response to a recent twitter storm about lack of diversity in lesfic.  Just the rumor I heard from someone I trust.
ch

On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 10:20 AM "Mia P. Manansala" <mpmthewriter@...> wrote:
[...]

Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society
Board Member, Bouchercon

Dharma Kelleher

Good on them for this initiative.

BSB has been a publisher of lesbian and other queer fiction (mostly romance and coming out stories) for decades.

Personally, I think their book covers are a bit amateurish. But I respect them for being instrumental to the advancement of queer literature.

On Jun 29, 2020, at 7:25 AM, cheryl head <cheadwrites@...> wrote:

[...]

<81531275_270967620841937_3813107727795360784_n.jpg>