Topics

August Goals Check-In #Goals

Bess Carnan

August has come and gone. Did it rush for you or did it take way too long to pass?
And however quickly it went, how did you do on your writing goals?

she/her

I’ve made a lot of progress on my WIP. Also gearing up for a book (different book) launch in October.

On Aug 31, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

August has come and gone. Did it rush for you or did it take way too long to pass?
And however quickly it went, how did you do on your writing goals?

she/her

Leslie Karst

I finished the draft of my new mystery set in Hawaiʻi, and have it now out with beta readers! Yippee!

aloha,
Leslie

--
Lefty Award-nominated author of the Sally Solari Mystery Series

     website: lesliekarstauthor.com
     blogs at: chicksonthecase and mysteryloverskitchen

Neil Plakcy

I decided somewhere in the middle of the month that I need to focus on my golden retriever mystery series. This cozy set is what brings in the money, and as I get closer to retiring from my day job, that becomes more important.

Unfortunately I had a book in my bodyguard series that I'd already had edited, and needed to get back to. I didn't want my editor to have forgotten completely about the book-- and it made financial sense to move it toward publication.

The revisions to that book took a lot out of me. My editor is usually great, but he had some major problems with this book and that resulted in many of his comments being short and vague. I had to go back and forth with him about what they meant, and the whole process was torturous.

Not his fault, as far as I can tell. More mine, in not knowing the arcs of the secondary characters well enough.

But I finished that. Yay! Did I immediately go on to the next golden book? No.

I'm writing instead a spin-off, with a gay protag, but still a cozy with a dog. And the hero of my golden series is going to nose his way in later to help with solving the crime.

In the end, I think you have to write what matters to you at the moment, not just what's going to make the money. I'm still fortunate to have the EDJ for that.

Neil

I had a series of health problems during August, so my goals went out the window. September looks better. I'll have to think of a realistic goal.
--
Author of the Mitch O'Reilly Mystery Series.

Also producer and host of the Gay Mystery Podcast

https://bradshreve.com/

Gale

My third novel-in-progress is a stand alone, coming of age, LGBTQ mystery. My goal is to add 15,000 to 17,000 words per month and to complete a first draft by the end of the year. I'm very excited about the direction of this story as the energy driving my momentum is very personal. I started writing it two weeks ago and I've already got 7500 words, so I'm pretty jazzed.

Gale

Hawthorn Mineart

I did a good job of writing nearly every day, but I moved about from one project to another when I got stuck. Sometimes that works for me if I can keep it to a small number of in-progress projects. I need to get one thing done.
--
Media Chair - Speed City Indiana Chapter Sisters in Crime
http://www.hawthornmineart.com

Jeffrey Marks

Things are moving slowly but I progress.

I've started on a new sample chapter for my biography of Joseph Hansen. Lots of research at the moment, which is a lot of fun.

I've also started a new short story, which is a lot of fun to do. It's off to a quick start; I just hope that continues.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com

Meredith Doench

I'm right there with you, Brad!  It's been a rough month for me, too.  I hope you are on the mend!