Topics

August Goals #Goals

Bess Carnan

What's your plan for this month? What do you want to finish? Or start?

I want to get this manuscript to 65-70,000 words. Impossible? Yes. But hey, gotta reach for the stars sometimes, right?

she/her

I’m hoping to finish the rough draft of this novella. Shooting for 50K.

On Aug 4, 2020, at 2:33 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

What's your plan for this month? What do you want to finish? Or start?

I want to get this manuscript to 65-70,000 words. Impossible? Yes. But hey, gotta reach for the stars sometimes, right?

she/her

Jeffrey Marks

I'll be working on a proposal for the biography of Joseph Hansen.

Last week, I found a trove of magazines that included 1950s/1960s articles by Hansen under a pen name. I think that's going to be the basis of my new sample chapter, which I've started. The goal for the month is to try and finish the chapter.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com

I look forward to that biography Jeffrey.
--
Author of the Mitch O'Reilly Mystery Series.

Also producer and host of the Gay Mystery Podcast

https://bradshreve.com/

Neil Plakcy

I have been working on a different kind of book for me, a collection
of short bits arranged like Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City.
Rather than outline each of the stories for the main characters, I
pretty much free-wrote every day.

I was way more productive than usual, turning out a whole 200-page
manuscript in about two weeks, working for many more hours a day than
I usually do.

The problem with this method is that now that I am revising, I have a
lot of stuff to correct. Fortunately I am still engaged by the
project, though I'm spending a lot of time now on things I would have
otherwise figured out in an outline.

My goal is to get this beaten into shape by the end of the month, so I
can go on to other stuff.

And Jeff, I'm excited that you're working on a Hansen biography too.
What an interesting guy!

Neil Plakcy
SOLDIER DOWN, the new Mahu Investigation
www.mahubooks.com

Leslie Karst

I've been mostly absent from this group for a while, but I'm excited to tell you all about my new project.

Although my Sally Solari mystery series does feature some lesbian and gay characters, the protagonist Sally is straight (though she did get a girl crush in one of the books).

But now--at the urging of my agent--I'm working on the first book in what I hope to be a series, with a lesbian as the protag. She's also 60 years old and married, so that's different too. The book is set on the Big Island of Hawai'i, and although it's a little scary starting something new, I'm hoping I can find a publisher and readership for a queer cozy.

aloha,
Leslie

--
Lefty Award-nominated author of the Sally Solari Mystery Series

     website: lesliekarstauthor.com
     blogs at: chicksonthecase and mysteryloverskitchen

Catherine Maiorisi

I don't write to an outline but somehow when I start writing my brain keeps me going in a logical direction. The book I've been working on for ten years was the product of Nanowrite. The pressure of writing 50,000 words in November and the idea to just keep writing caused me to go off in so many directions that it's taken years of sporadic attempts to wrestle it into a logical storyline. At least I hope so.

Good luck with your free written manuscript.

Catherine

On Wed, Aug 5, 2020 at 1:44 PM Neil Plakcy <plax1612@...> wrote:
[...]

Hawthorn Mineart

I'd like to get 30,000 words of this novel done. That's doable.