Topics

Happy Friday! Let's talk NPVa #NPV

Bess Carnan

For new folks, NPVs are Non-Publishing Victories in writing that we forget to enjoy. Get your website up and running? Send out your newsletter after forgetting for a month? Brave your first queries? Get rights returned on your backlist? This stuff is all worth celebrating, but we often forget it in the "publish or perish mindset."
On Fridays, we lift up those victories!

This week, I wrote THREE WHOLE SENTENCES while waiting in the clinic with my foster kittens. (Total time spent in clinic waiting room this week: about 7-8 hours.) I'm holding on to that victory with both hands.

I’ve been working through the plot holes in my WIP while weaving in red herrings and clues and tying together disparate plot points. I feel good about the way it’s coming together.

I’ll still need a few more passes for character voice and conciseness, but it’s rocking.

On Jun 14, 2019, at 12:21 PM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

For new folks, NPVs are Non-Publishing Victories in writing that we forget to enjoy. Get your website up and running? Send out your newsletter after forgetting for a month? Brave your first queries? Get rights returned on your backlist? This stuff is all worth celebrating, but we often forget it in the "publish or perish mindset."
On Fridays, we lift up those victories!

This week, I wrote THREE WHOLE SENTENCES while waiting in the clinic with my foster kittens. (Total time spent in clinic waiting room this week: about 7-8 hours.) I'm holding on to that victory with both hands.

I got to talk about queer literature and writing with a few other LGBTQ folks at The Writer's Center here in DC last night.  It was a Pride event. It went well and the panelists generally sent out good vibes to all Queer writers.  I shouted out some of your names.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 4:18 PM Dharma Kelleher <dharma.kelleher@...> wrote:
[...]

Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

Dharma Kelleher

That reminds me, I appeared on the Leap of Doubt podcast talking about crime fiction and trans representation.

I even read the first chapter of CHASER, book one in my Jinx Ballou bounty hunter series.