Topics

New Hashtag! (Let's try it out.) #WIPWeds

Bess Carnan

Cheryl and I got to talking at Malice and thought it'd be fun to have a chance to talk about our Works In Progress here. Thing you're excited about? Cool research? Just wanna brag? Sticky spot? Wednesdays are now your day!

My WIP, Hawaiian Homicide, is in the very final stages of editing before we send it out on submission. (The part where my agent and I engage in an epic stare down to see who blinks first.) It's the first in my Jax Packs series (hopefully! As long as someone picks it up.) following a travel blogger to all the places I've ever visited or lived. (Or plan to, now that I have a convenient excuse.) The first one is set on the Big Island of Hawai'i, where Jax is spending a month. Her BFF is there for work as well and is accused of murdering another guest at their lodgings.

The first draft was shockingly easy to write--I was 40,000 words in before I realized I probably needed to add a plot. (I really liked Hawaii while I lived there.) The hardest part was finding a Hawaiian language expert who would get back to me.

I'm also sort-of working on a short story set in Richmond, VA in the 1920s. I've never done a short story before, so it'll be an interesting new challenge to see if I finish it in the proper shape.

What are y'all working on?

Bess, my WIP is set in Hawai'i, too, though on O'ahu. It will the tenth full novel in my Mahu series, about an openly gay Honolulu homicide detective. I'm 37 pages in and having fun reconnecting with these characters again.

I'll pas on a tip my former agent gave me when I began shopping the first in the series, which I called Death on Waikiki. He said that was a very generic title, and I ought to look deeper into the book for a title that really represented it. Hawaiian Homicide sounds like a similarly generic title, and there are so many cool things about the Big Island (as I'm sure you know) that might lead to a more interesting title-- Volcanic Matter, for example.

Who else wants to play?

Neil Plakcy
who will find out on Monday if he wins the Lambda for best gay mystery.. or it goes to John Copenhaver...

Tanen

I'm so excited about my WIP, but so nervous I won't be able to do it justice. This one's got some well intentioned people in it, and those are somehow much harder for me to write than characters who don't do the right thing.

I'm loving the setting, though -- the San Gabriel mountains -- and the challenge of writing people who actually like each other.

I think if I can pull it off, it'll be the sort of book that's rereadable for the tone and dialogue, even after the mystery is no longer mysterious. I really hope my editor wants this one...!

Catherine Maiorisi

Hi,

I’m juggling.

A new romance set in NJ where I grew up which is now at 40,000 words but has no title yet.

I’m also 20,000 words into the third NYPD Chiara Corelli mystery which takes place in New York City, tentatively title The Blood of the Innocents.

Rewriting an article on lesbian mysteries.

Reading for fun and education.

Jeffrey Marks

Working on a biography proposal at the moment as well as a mystery short story.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com

cheryl head

I'm in the early stages of Book 5 of my Charlie Mack series.  I knew the premise of the story, and a few plot elements, but hadn't a clue how it might play out, or end, or whodunnit.   I managed to create a two-page synopsis that's guiding the writing now, and that's helping.  When I outline I generally have a couple of bullet points to guide me; I'm finding the synopsis is a lot easier way to work.   I agree with Neil on the Hawaii title.  I love alliteration but it's too generic.  When I wrote book two of my series-which is a thriller focusing on a terrorist attack at the Detroit Auto Show-my first title was Murder at the Auto Show.  LOL My publisher just said 'no'.    I feel your pain on the short story work, Bess.  I signed up this month for a short-story writing course at the DC Writer's Center, but they cancelled the class for lack of interest.  Arrrggghh.

Cheryl
p.s. Good luck next week to Neil, John, and Catherine....

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 1:08 PM Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:
[...]

Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

John Copenhaver

I’m finishing up my deeeep revision of my next book, also a historical mystery.  I just need the school year to end, so I can properly tackle it.

-John

On May 29, 2019, at 2:12 PM, Jeffrey Marks <jeffrmarks@...> wrote:

Working on a biography proposal at the moment as well as a mystery short story.

Jeff

--
Jeffrey Marks
www.jeffreymarks.com
Mystery biographer, nominated for the Edgar award, the Agatha, the Macavity, and winner of the Anthony award.
Publisher, Crippen & Landru Publishers.

John Copenhaver
Fiction Writer
Lambda Literary Columnist
www.jcopenhaver.com
Twitter: johncopenhaver
Instagram: johncope74

Debut Novel, DODGING AND BURNING. Available now from Pegasus Books.

cheryl head

Tanen.  Sounds good to me.
cheryl

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:06 PM Tanen <tanenjones@...> wrote:
I'm so excited about my WIP, but so nervous I won't be able to do it justice. This one's got some well intentioned people in it, and those are somehow much harder for me to write than characters who don't do the right thing.

I'm loving the setting, though -- the San Gabriel mountains -- and the challenge of writing people who actually like each other.

I think if I can pull it off, it'll be the sort of book that's rereadable for the tone and dialogue, even after the mystery is no longer mysterious. I really hope my editor wants this one...!

--
Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

Tanen

Thanks Cheryl!

On Wednesday, May 29, 2019, cheryl head <cheadwrites@...> wrote:
Tanen.  Sounds good to me.
cheryl

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:06 PM Tanen <tanenjones@...> wrote:
I'm so excited about my WIP, but so nervous I won't be able to do it justice. This one's got some well intentioned people in it, and those are somehow much harder for me to write than characters who don't do the right thing.

I'm loving the setting, though -- the San Gabriel mountains -- and the challenge of writing people who actually like each other.

I think if I can pull it off, it'll be the sort of book that's rereadable for the tone and dialogue, even after the mystery is no longer mysterious. I really hope my editor wants this one...!

--
Cheryl Head
Author, Charlie Mack Motown Mysteries
Director of Inclusion, Golden Crown Literary Society

Tammy Bird

I'm about 75000 words into my WIP. I am a bit stuck on a chapter right now. I know it is important, but it isn't working. Last night I deleted about 600 words that seemed to be dragging me down and not taking the characters anywhere that a reader needed them to go.

I write thrillers, and this is the hard part of the novel for me. I am trying to make sure all of the threads are coming together in a way that makes sense. That cat that the protagonist loves so much, the one her "best friend" tried to kill two chapters ago, why is he so dang important? He is. He had a brother once who belonged to the best friend, but he disappeared years ago. I need to bring that back in. And the abandoned house? What about it? You know. All the things.

I am glad you started this thread. Writing this reminded me of something. Eeeeeek. I gotta go follow the thought.

Peace!
Tammy

On Wed, May 29, 2019 at 2:16 PM cheryl head <cheadwrites@...> wrote:
[...]

Anne

I’m getting ready to start my next novel and I’m struggling over what book I want to write. I’ve always wanted to write about women doing resistance work during WWII but there seems to be a lot of books - fiction and non-fiction - that have come out in the last few years about the subject. I don’t know whether the market is saturated, but it feels like a big risk. Maybe by the time it’s written and shopped around there may be more of a market for it. My other idea is female serial killer!

Comments appreciated.
Anne

Anne Laughlin
Author of
Sometimes Quickly
Veritas
Runaway
The Acquittal
A Date to Die
--

Anne Laughlin | Broker

@properties
 3101 N. Greenview
Chicago, IL 60657
773.255.0651
annelaughlin@...

Stop looking, start finding®
atproperties.com

--
Anne Laughlin
author of

Catherine Maiorisi

Anne,
IMHO, a writer should write the book she wants to write and not worry about the market.
All you can do with any book is make it as good as you can, then put it out there and let the readers decide.

Good Luck,
Catherine Maiorisi

On May 29, 2019, at 8:21 PM, Anne <annie3310@...> wrote:

[...]

Brenda Buchanan

I'm 50k + words into in the second book in a new series that has as its protagonist a queer criminal defense lawyer in Portland, Maine.

Book #1 has been finished for a while and is making the query rounds now. Looking for a new agent can be such a sloooow process.

Writing Book #2 is easier in a way, now that I "know" my lead character and her supporting cast. While I enjoy bringing characters to life, I have more fun writing about them once they exist inside my head.

In Book #1, my protag is not entirely happy to be back in her hometown, even though it's no longer the gritty, uncool place she remembers from her high school days. She's healing heart and soul after being fired from a hotshot job in Boston and being betrayed by a treacherous woman. She plans to leave Maine and make another run for the big time, but by the end of Book #1, has rethought that plan.  In Book #2 she takes up with a woman who she met briefly in Book #1.  Not uncomplicated, of course.

Oh, and there are murders in both books.  Of course.

Wishing everyone good writing today!

Brenda

Dharma Kelleher

I’m pushing hard on the first major edit of my WIP. It’s been a slog but I’m in the final act, so the end is in sight.

On May 29, 2019, at 10:08 AM, Bess Carnan <BCarnan@...> wrote:

[...]

I agree with you, Brenda. Always easier to write when you know the characters. And also great fun to keep learning more about their talents and back stories.

Neil Plakcy
mystery, romance and more at
www.mahubooks.com

Greg Herren

A day late....

I am writing a y/a mystery called BURY ME IN SHADOWS, set in rural Alabama and having to do with an old family mystery. When I finish this first draft I am going back to another y/a manuscript for its final revision. That one is tentatively called #shedeservedit, and it's about rape culture in a small midwestern town dominated by its high school football team. I am in the midst of about five short story polishes, and have several others that are started but the first draft isn't finished. I want to have another collection ready for 2021.

I am also about to start editing the final draft of the J. M. Redmann Micky Knight mystery, coming out this fall, I think November?

In my free time, I am also working on a proposal for a new series, requested by a former publisher--a mainstream series, so we'll see how that goes.

I am currently reading Joseph Olshan's BLACK DIAMOND FALL, which I am enjoying, and then i am probably going to finally get to John's DODGING AND BURNING, I hope.

xogreg

Bess Carnan

Wow, thanks for the advice! Y'all are the first ones to mention it, so now I've got some soul searching to do. :)

It sounds like we have some AWESOME manuscripts in progress. I can't wait to read them!
(Neil, I'm requesting yours from the library RIGHT NOW.)

Emma Schmidtke

I love the new hashtag!

I’m 24k into my WIP, a novel about the complicated friendship between a true crime vlogger and a survivor of an infamous unsolved mystery. It’s the first draft so I’m waffling a lot with style, tone, pacing, etc. But I’m making progress slow and steady and am looking forward to editing!

Good luck to everyone on your WIP!

- - Emma

On Thu, 30 May 2019 at 10:09 PM, Dharma Kelleher <dharma.kelleher@...> wrote:
[...]

Emma, that sounds amazing.

Ellison

Oh I love this!

I'm crawling toward the finish line on book 3 in my Sayer Altair series. This one delves into the neuroscience of Traumatic Brain Injuries and ancient Egyptian beliefs about the afterlife.

I'm about to send my first round of edits back to my editor so fingers crossed that this is my only round of major edits. I actually love this book, BUT, a new project (a techno-thriller) has been calling to me and I'm so anxious to dive into a new project that I'm at that stage where I don't want to read the book I'm editing ever again.

-Ellison
www.ellisoncooper.com