Re: Kaye Publicity's Equity in Publishing Program

John Copenhaver

Hi, all,

In general, I'm suspicious of publicists who ask you to pay for advice—and Dana does a lot of that sort of thing. You should be paying for access to the connections they’ve built. Not advice for how to post on Instagram or interview tips. A big part of equity is about access to resources. The resources publicists provide is who they know—ye olde rolodex. I like that Dana wants to provide a discount to create equity, but you have to scrutinize what they are providing—and if it’s not, in fact, a marketing ploy. Mia, you may have had/are having a fabulous experience with her and that may not be the case here at all, but I felt some obligation to be concerned. I just don’t want our desire to be supported taken advantage of, even if it’s unintentional. Her response to Dharma worried me, I guess, especially because she tried to sell her on another program.

I still dream of a fellowship—or something of that sort—which would provide $$ for queer and/or BIPOC folks to hire a publicist.

Not my intention to be a Debbie Downer, but perhaps this will spark conversation!

Best,
-John

On Nov 12, 2020, at 4:46 PM, Dharma Kelleher <dharma.kelleher@...> wrote:

I got a response back from Dana.

While we don't recommend full-service campaigns for indie authors, based on what you've shared, you would be a great candidate for my paid membership community, Your Breakout Book.”

So I guess the Equality offer only applies to traditionally pubbed authors.

Which struck me as odd. I walked away from traditional publishers because of their lack of interest in diverse voices.

I tried her paid membership a year or so ago, but didn’t find it offered anything I couldn’t get from a lot of podcasts.

But her business. Her decision. I respect it.

On Nov 12, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Eliot <eliotp@...> wrote:

Hi, all!

This is wonderful news! Thanks for sharing.

Hope you all are well and staying safe!

Eliot