Re: Question regarding covers and characters

My designer and those from my previous publisher didn't like to have a character face or recognizable characteristic on covers because of this type of issue for a reader. My mystery series uses a silhouette of a man (could be Derek or could be the killer) as a unifying theme for the covers. I guess the convention of showing a character with a photograph depends on the genre.

If you feel you will be explaining the cover at every book signing or speaking engagement, I would suggest asking for it to be changed. The cover should not be a distraction to the story.

--
Greg Lilly

Author of:

- Stray

- The Wolf Crystal

- Sunset & Semicolons – a Frank & Revealing Field Guide to the Writing Life

- Scalping the Red Rocks – A Derek Mason Mystery

- Under a Copper Moon
Devil's Bridge
- Fingering the Family Jewels– A Derek Mason Mystery

www.GregLilly.com