Re: Question regarding covers and characters

Tammy Bird

I'm with Tim on this one, except I have a hard time not dwelling on the differences once I find them. I will probably still finish the book, but I may not buy another by the same author.

Can you find a picture in stock art by searching for lesbian protagonist or female mechanic (or something else that may lend itself to a person more like what you describe)?

Tammy

On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 3:49 PM Tim Jungr via Groups.Io <timjungr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
It irks me if the cover art doesn't match the description. In fact, that just happened to me this afternoon in the book I am currently reading. The first physical description of the hero mentioned his "sandy brown hair," but the guy on the cover had very dark hair. To be fair, I was only annoyed for about four seconds, then I got over it.

Mismatches are pretty common. I remember lots of traditional romances where the hero was described as having hair on his chest, but absolutely no cover models back then had hair.

Also, I am more likely to notice with an actual, paper book than with an e-book. Once I open an e-book I never look at the cover again, whereas I see the cover of a print book every time I pick it up. (And my kindle is black-and-white, so color differences wouldn't be as obvious.)

Tim

On Friday, September 13, 2019, 03:38:22 PM EDT, Dharma Kelleher <dharma.kelleher@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I need your thoughts.

I have a cover designer working on a redesign for one of my books. My designer has come up with a beautiful cover, but the woman in the photo has longer hair than the main character. In the story, she is a butch lesbian motorcycle builder who has short spiky hair. Needless to say, representation of butch women in stock photo galleries is rather lacking.

I really like the cover my designer has create, even with the longer hair. Do you think readers will have a problem with the fact that the woman on the cover doesn’t match the description in the book?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.