Question regarding covers and characters

Dharma Kelleher

Hi everyone,

I need your thoughts.

I have a cover designer working on a redesign for one of my books. My designer has come up with a beautiful cover, but the woman in the photo has longer hair than the main character. In the story, she is a butch lesbian motorcycle builder who has short spiky hair. Needless to say, representation of butch women in stock photo galleries is rather lacking.

I really like the cover my designer has create, even with the longer hair. Do you think readers will have a problem with the fact that the woman on the cover doesn’t match the description in the book?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.